Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Breakfast Bars

As I mentioned before breakfast its not my thing so besides quickie protein smoothies I like to make a batch of breakfast bars and keep them available for breakfast on the go or a healthy snack.  With so many protein, breakfast bars available I have been tempted by convenience and have tried a few but, after reading the ingredients I have decided to make my own.  This way I have total control of what goes in the bars; I like to use organic ingredients and I prefer a chewy bar rather than a crispy one.  So after a few batches with different ingredients I finally came up with the one that I like the most and I'd like to share that with you.

As with most of my cooking feel free to substitute ingredients for the ones that you like best are what you can easily find. Except for the basic "bar" ingredients, the fruit and nuts are your choice.  These can also be completely vegan by using ghee instead of butter.


Breakfast Bars

Ingredients:                                                                              Makes 12 bars

2     cups organic rolled oats
1     cup whole wheat pastry flour
1     teaspoon baking powder
1/4  cup wheat germ
1/2  teaspoon salt
1/3  cup turbinado sugar 
1     cup shreadded coconut (slightly toasted)  you may do this in microwave
1     cup toasted sliced almonds
1     cup dried cranberries
1     cup blueberries
1     cup chopped dried peaches
1     cup sunflower seeds, pecans or cashew pieces (raw toasted if you prefer)
1     teaspoon cinnamon
1     teaspoon nutmeg
11/2 cup low fat soymilk, rice milk or almond mild
1/4  cup maple syrup
1/4  cup ghee or unsalted butter (melted)
3/4  cup applesauce
11/2 teaspoon vanilla

Preparation:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9x13 baking pan with parchment paper.  Put all dry ingredients in a bowl, combine well.   Place all wet ingredients (milk-vanilla) in another bowl, combine with wire whisk.  Add the dry ingredients to wet ones and combine gently.  Transfer mixture to prepared pan and distribute evenly with a spatula.  Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.  Cool completely then cut into bars and wrap individually with aluminum foil, these are perishable items therefore, store in refrigerator

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This sounds amazing! I will definitely try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete