Monday, June 11, 2012

Randi's Pasta Delight

A couple of weeks ago my and friends and neighbors  came over for a quick middle of the week dinner and without a real plan, I came up with an impromptu pasta dish that my friend Randi loved so much I named it after her.
Since I subscribe to the school of "necessity is the mother of invention" rule, I use what I have available in order to come out with a solution to my dilemma. And to me this serves me well not only in the kitchen but with any real problems I may encounter.
The pasta dish I wanted to make called for spaghetti but I had angel hair pasta, asparagus but I had peas, parmesan cheese but I had pecorino instead.  You get the picture, by being resourceful and creative I added a new dish to my recipe collection.  And now without further adieu......

Randi's Pasta Delight

Ingredients:                                                                            Serves:  4


1 lb. angel hair pasta                                               2 oz. prosciutto
1 small onion—chopped                                        1/2 C  peas or asparagus (cut 1")
2 cloves garlic—minced                                         1/4 t nutmeg
1 1/4 C heavy milk                                                  1 T plus 1/2t salt
1/4 C sherry                                                             1/2 t black pepper
1/2 C parmesan or pecorino cheese - grated

Method:
  
Bring a large pot of water to boil with 1 tablespoon salt (you heard me).  While water boils prepare sauce; brown onion for about 5 minutes in pan with oil of choice, add garlic and brown for about I minute (you may substitute onion and garlic with 2 shallots).  Add the sherry  to mixture and stir until  absorbed mixing all brown bits in pan, add asparagus (if using), cream, half of the cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg, simmer for about 3 minutes.  Mix in diced prosciutto (If using frozen peas add now) and turn off heat. Drain pasta then pour sauce in, toss.  Sprinkle rest of cheese over pasta before  plating. 
p.s.  if using asparagus, first blanch or cook in microwave for 1 minute

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delicious Mona! I will definetely buy prosciutto this week!!

    ReplyDelete