Thursday, June 7, 2012

Heirloom Tomato Salad

Hello everyone!  I'm just getting started on this so, I'm not quite sure of what I'm doing but, here I go.
On this web-based journal I'd like to share some of my favorite recipes, bits and pieces from my own kitchen "wisdom", more like trial and error actually more error than success, lol (do people still say that).

As most of you know I also have an interest in different types of paper arts and stationery design so, I will share those as well every now and then.

Another thing that I like to do its; try and duplicate and simplify a gourmet meal that I've had at a restaurant, seen or read about somewhere and for the most part have been successful with my simplified version.  So what I'm trying to say here; I don't have many of my own original recipes but I'm good at  "duplication and simplification".  Some famous person said (I think it was Thomas Edison)  " It is best to fail at originality than to succeed on imitation"; and I totally agree but we all need inspiration from somewhere or something, right?

Anyhow,, my friends Randi and Tyrone took out to lunch to a lovely restaurant in Pasadena called the Parkway Grill  (I think that's right).  I ordered a tomato salad which was incredible and was presented beautifully so, I came home and of course I had to give it a go and, try to duplicate it.   And so ta dah!
Here it is, my first published recipe!



Heirloom Tomato Salad

Ingredients:                                                                                      Serves 2
 
2 heirloom tomatoes                                                                                        
  1 t sugar                                 
2 oz. prosciutto                                                                                                 
  1 t salt
1 C basil leaves                                                                                                    
 1/2 t black pepper
1 garlic clove– minced                                                                                     
  1 T lemon juice
1 T evoo                                                                                                                 
  1/2 C balsamic vinegar
2 oz. barrata cheese, blue cheese or any semi-soft cheese
Preparation:
 
Cut tomatoes in wedges.  Put the balsamic vinegar in small saucepan and bring to a simmer, add sugar and keep simmer for about 5 minutes to form a thick glaze that coats back of spoon, let cool.  Place the basil, garlic, 3/4 t salt, pepper and lemon juice in small food processor, process till finely mixed.  Broil the prosciutto on second shelve from top of oven for about 4-5 minutes.
To plate; drizzle a small amount of balsamic glaze on each plate, top with tomatoes, tuck in small pieces of the prosciutto in between the tomato wedges, sprinkle a small amount of salt on tomato wedges. Crumble the cheese and divide in two parts, sprinkling half on top of tomatoes then follow with basil mixture.
Drizzle the rest of the balsamic glaze on sides of tomatoes


1 comment:

  1. Wow Mona! Your Blog looks great!!! The recipe sounds delicious, I will have to try it soon!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete